Spring Main Junction
Photo Analysis of the Junction where Main Street passes opposite the Basin Spring.
The below photo was probably taken between 1882 and 1884.
"Mud Street" is shown taking a rather deep grade downward. The building at right just past the City Drug Store shows its “pilings” that hold it in place. All the buildings on the right side are suspended across the Leatherwood Branch which "Mud Street" runs parallel to. The buildings at left butt up to limestone walls that holds up Spring Street fronting the Basin Spring.
More than a dozen laborers and onlookers are in this Main Street scene.
City Drug Store:
At right forefront is the City Drug Store with the owners name affixed atop the roof facade — F. Bellchamber. Goodspeed lists him as an early druggist.
Montgomery Brothers General Merchandise Store:
The store is under expansion as discerned from its left-forefront. It adjoins the companion 3-story building with the striped awning. Although the photo does not show much depth (front width) to that building, close scrutiny shows three windows across the front of its top floor. Goodspeed wrote that Montgomery Brothers started business on Sept. 13, 1879 opposite the site of O.D. Thornton, who began on July 6, 1879. "Thornton occupied Lot #1 on south side of Main Street," however his structure has not been identified and more likely moved out of Eureka Springs by the time of this photo.
There are two visible street banners. The one at the rear displays “Drug Store”. The one nearest to front is foiled, but one of the words possibly reads “Stage.” This banner is tied on the right side to the "City Drug Store" roof facade. The other end is tied to a building that has a sign reading “Basin Spring Hotel.”
Basin Spring Hotel:
The "Basin Spring Hotel" is a three-story building clearly showing wooden stairs reaching from “Mud Street” to its second floor gallery. There is a third floor gallery above that where the awning of the building adjoining Montgomery Brothers can be viewed upper-left of the Basin Spring Hotel sign. There is another 3-story building next to the hotel. The 1886 Sanborn map identifies this location as the "Springfield Hotel."
Main Street, visible in the photo, is not straight since there are structures evident in the photo causing the “Road” to snake around as it moves downward (northward). Numerous wooden structures are visible in the background. As shown in the 1886 Sanborn map, the street has been cleared of obstuctions and has been straightened.
1886 Sanborn Map:
Main Street is shown running North and South.
Crossing left to right, beginning from the Basin Spring, can be seen that portion labeled "Avenue" which at that point crossed the Leatherwood Creek and was likely a bridge possibly covered with layers of rock and mud.
The (#1619) Red rectangle reads "Drugs," representing City Drug Store.
Across Main Street shows the P.O. (Post Office) located 2nd Floor in the (#1601) Montgomery Brothers building.
Just above it can be seen the (#1602) Springfield Hotel footprint.
Across the Avenue southward is (#1522 &1523) Basin Spring Bath House.
Across Main Street from the bath-house is a Green structure (#1510) Echo Newspaper Office.
At the far bottom-left is a stairway that went up to the Southern Hotel.
The other set of stairs divides (#1511) the small 2-story, isolated structure that housed a barber and a fruit store was also the office for the Eureka Water Shipping and Jewelry store owned by John S.Tibbs, who also owned the Basin Spring Bath House.
This photo was taken circa 1885. The detailed inscriptions should help in showing correlations to the first photo shown at top of this page.
Below is a photo showing the larger area from which the above photo was taken.
Another photo comparison can be viewed below: